Monday, September 5, 2011

Feeling puzzled

Before I discuss craftiness, I'd like to say a sincere thank you to everyone who made the last 2 weeks so awesome - between birthday and writing up celebrations, I've been thoroughly spoiled. Thank you all so much!

As I mentioned yonder week, I took advantage of my new found freedom to spend a few days at home in Donegal. Oh, the novelty of being at home for more than 48 hours! As I didn't have any knitting or crochet projects on the go at the time of my departure, I threw some embroidery floss and needles in my bag. My embroidery skills are poor, but nothing improves without practice.





The proportions on the bird are obviously incorrect - or maybe not, given that I was just making it up as I went along, it's not as if I had any specific breed in mind.

I wasn't the only one celebrating a birthday around these times - a friend of mine in Dublin was turning 30. I was unable to join the party, so I needed something small that could be send in the post. Cue another Totoro craft (you can see a previous incarnation here). This one was made with polymer clay - a word of advice? Putting polymer clay in at 220 degrees centigrade instead of fahrenheit will give you the following result, regardless of the sculpture you started with:
Much better results can be achieved if you follow the directions correctly. Here's my second attempt preoven.
And ready to be sent off, with eyes and chest marks painted out (inexpertly).
So there you have in. In actual fact I did make one other thing this week, but as it's a gift for someone who may read this blog's imminent birthday, I'll have to keep it secret for now. In the meantime, perhaps I'll mention something else I'm making - though not strictly a craft. My sister is an artist, whose work explores boredom and the acts we carry out as a means of escape. Jigsaws are recurring themes in her work - not just any jigsaws, big ones. She has a project coming up, and I've undertaken to do one of these big jigsaws for her as a means of easing the pressure on her. It's an atlas, so for the most part it should be fine. The sea however, will not be fun, lacking as it is in any distinctive features - this particular atlas has had the lines of latitude and longitude removed. Any tips? Apart from patience and perseverance?

No comments:

Post a Comment