Sunday, March 30, 2014

This weekend I went hunting for some packaging materials for David Sedaris' heart. I wanted simple and ultimately disposable, because the thing could end up in the bin in 5 minutes for all I know. I wouldn't take it personally - I'm sure he gets given a lot of things on tours like these. While the heart is a hella lot more transportable that the taxidermied animals he's been presented with at some shows, it's really just a little trinket and I don't want him to feel burdened with its ownership. It's ok David, when I give it to you, it's yours to do with as you wish - gift it, ditch it, use it to throw at the tv when there's nothing on, whatever.





Socks are one of my favorite projects - I love knitting in the round and I love being able to just pick up and knit. However I feel I have to start branching out from entirely plain socks.
With this in mind, these are the first socks I've knit with an overall rib effect. It's not really much more complicated that plain, but it's something. I also think the rib all the way down the ankle might help them be less prone to sagging. I'm using aran weight wool from Donegal. I thought given the chunky wool, the rib might not feel so pleasant underfoot so on the the foot portion the ribbing is only on top, with plain stockinette underneath.




For the last 2 months I've been living on the contents of one suitcase I brought over from England with me, and a few bits and pieces I've left at friends' houses. I've kind've enjoyed the minimal existence. Despite this, I'll be relieved when the rest of my gear is delivered next weekend and I'll have both a wider selection of clothes and crafting materials.

Oh my god what if David doesn't do a meet and greet?!

1 comment: