Sunday, November 28, 2010

Snowed under.

I was going to post last night, but poor picture quality prompted me to wait until the next bout of natural daylight. This week has been a bit hectic for me work wise, and next week is going to be even busier, so don't be disappointed with my trivial offerings, ok?
These little guys aren't very well executed, but they did achieve my desired goal, namely, bringing some imaginative repurposing of otherwise useless materials into my crafting life. The shallow, clear plastic circles which provided the template for these were formally confetti containers.
The first one isn't too exciting - just buttons and glue, but I think it will make a fun badge, I was more hopeful for the other one, but it isn't everything I wanted it to be, for two reasons. I put a layer of fabric on the bottom to make it more interesting, but my sloppy work with the glue gun means the fabric is bumpy and uneven, while the layer of varnish I put over it significantly darkened the tartan pattern, making it much less discernible. Nevertheless, I am encouraged by this experiment and plan to massacre some appropriately shaped shampoo bottles in the near future.

This next thing wasn't really made per say. I've been looking at a lot of recipes for making soap online, but unfortunately, due to the dullness of pharmacies nowadays, have had trouble sourcing some of the ingredients. (Ironically, at work I literally have a cataloge from which I could order all the chemicals I need, but I don't think my supervisor would be too happy about funding my craft addiction). Recently I found myself in possession of an Amazon voucher, and decided to order some Melt and Pour soap. As the name suggests, this soap couldn't be easier to 'make' - you simply melt it the unscented, uncolored base, add any scents, colorings, treats that you want, pour into a mold and let to set. This did necessitate me buying some essential oils for scents, and as I'm trying to avoid actually spending money on craft stuff until I use up some of what I have, this is where I drew the line - the soaps would be colorless. These soaps are lemon scented, and alright to use, though they are a little bland and don't froth themselves into a luxurious frenzy. While I'm glad I got it, and while I will, in future, put more effort and money into jazzing up the Melt and Pour that I have, this really has just emphasized my desire to make the soap from scratch. I'm a chemist, and a craftster - this is what must be done.


No comments:

Post a Comment