Sunday, November 7, 2010

Spun into a frenzy

I really have to work on those titles.
This Monday I was delighted to receive a ginormous box of lovely. I didn't encounter the courier - my housemate did - and consequently I only saw the box when I was running out the door to work. And even worse, I work late on Monday evenings, so I couldn't tear into the happiness until close to 9:30pm. So what did I make this week? Well, my spinning wheel for one thing.
Unfortunately I didn't take a picture before I started but here's some 'Under Construction' shots.

And the finished article.
I bought my Kromski mazurka from the lovely people at Wingham Wool Work. No, I did not suddenly come into some money or decide to take out a high interest loan - just a bit of luck. The Wingham Wool Work website features a special offers page where, among other things, they occasionally sell wheels, discounted due to their previous status as display models. So they might have some evidence of usage, but apart from that they're all fine. This one in particular had been used for some time, but the page included this information, noting that they were technically classifying it as 'Second-hand', rather than 'Ex-display'. So it needed a tiny bit of attention - oiling the joints, sanding down the flyer to get rid of a bit of rust - but apart from that it's just perfect. Now all I have to do is practice my spinning so that I can do it justice. My first is shown below, along with the lazy kate which was included with the wheel. 

Not dreadful, but could use improvement.
Apart from my wheel (squee!) I finished my Carbon Footprint Mittens. In order to interweave the required concept of carbon emission and climate change, I made them decidedly quirky, with one mitten being longer than the other and the shorter one being fingerless, to hint at the fact that as our carbon emissions have increased (as illustrated by the longer glove) we have become warmer. Forgive the pictures - as I was taking them myself I could only take on action shot at once.


The exhibition opens next Friday in Letterkenny, so my being in attendance there will consequently mean I will not be attendance here. Yes, it's true, there are still some people out there sans internet, and my mother is one of them. I'll be sure to take loads of pictures at the exhibition (which you can find out more about here) - I'm really looking forward to seeing how different people interpreted the theme.

Have a great weekend everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a super pretty wheel!! Good luck with it, hun! (:

    ReplyDelete