Sunday, August 14, 2011

Attack of the 50 inch hat

Less than one week until my Masters thesis is handed up! I hope anyway - while there are some improvements I know I could make, at this stage I just want to get the thing out of my sight. Friday is the big day for me. As you can imagine, I'm looking forward to it immensely. I'm taking a few months off, and frugal months they'll be. Among other things - cycling, computers games, reviewing some more chemistry - I'm also hoping to step my crafting up a notch. With so much time on my hands I'll have no excuse for cutting corners and not improving my skills. It will be good for me to learn some patience - though with my chemistry work over the last year I have definately learned the value of taking the time to do something properly the first time. Putting it into practice in my crafting life will be its own reward.

The boyfriend of a good friend of mine had a crocheted hat that he loved. Well, he called it a hat, it was more like a yarn based tureen. 
Anyway, it got ripped and I was asked if I could have a go at repairing it. The damage was quite near the center of the hat - in order to repair it I was going to have to rip it nearly all the way back to the beginning anyway. If I did this, I wouldn't be confident if I could accurately recall how huge to make the hat, so instead I've just opted to make another one, using the original as a reference.
As you can see, I still have quite a bit to do, but with the chunky yarn and 6.5mm hook I don't imagine it will take very long. If the shape isn't right I'll have to rip back and do it again, but either way, nothing too labor intensive. Those crafts can wait another week or two.

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment