Thursday, June 10, 2010

So. Goodness, I never know what to write on things like this, like those "About Me" sections you're supposed to fill out in profiles. About Me? Well, I am me, so there's a start. I'm currently doing a PhD in Organic Synthetic Chemistry. I also play tag rugby, a flat to keep clean, friends to see, beer to drink, computer games to play, food to cook, animals to care for, blogs to read.....so much, so much. All this takes time. And I've found that after a long day in the lab, it's much too easy to come home, and after I've cobbled together a dinner, vegetate in front of the laptop watching various sci-fi, or reading various blogs. Blogs about being creative. Rather than actually going and being creative. So that's why I decided to start a little blog. In this blog I hope to post one thing I've made (or if it's a bit bigger, am at least in the progress of making) every week. Maybe not on the same day every week, but I think what I'm planning that is say if I post on a Thursday of one week, I'm then on a 7 day countdown. So I have to post something by next Thursday, and if I post say, on the following Wednesday, the 7 day countdown starts again. So there, that's my plan. I really think this will help me get back into regular crafting, rather than putting stuff off for one minute....then ano9ther 5....and oh look, it's time for bed. I also think it will motivate me to finish projects, which I think all fellow craftsters will agree are all to easy to leave nearly finished.

I put off posting some of my crafts online for ages because I didn't think they were good enough. but then I had a realization - nobody has to read my blog. It's their choice. So I am free to prattle on as much as I like, and post my silly shrinky dink jewelery or unhemmed dresses, nobody has to read or comment. So yes, beware, my crafts are less than awesome. But you can stop reading now - I'll never know.

So what's here to get us started. Nothing major, nothing fancy, just some simple crocheted faceclothes. I've been making a lot of these lately, but these two in particular are for a swap I'm participating in over on Swap-Bot. They're made in Rowan Milk Cotton (70% cotton, 30% milk cotton), and it's pretty delicious and soft. It toughens up a little bit after a couple of washes (the label does say 30 deg C, and I did 40 deg C), but that works for me, as face clothes should be a bit abrasive.
The completed one is done in crochet rib, for texture. The work in progress is just plain single crochet, as I want to get it finished and in the post quickly. This is also why I'm not going to block them before sending  - but this will give the recipient a chance to enjoy the full softness of the yarn before it toughens at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment